God’s sole requirement: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved (Acts 16:31)
Lordship salvation’s many requirements:
Follow Christ, Surrender to Christ, Be Willing to Obey, Commit yourself ,Turn From Sin, Be Willing to Sacrifice Everything, Give Up All For the Kingdom ,Deny Self Love Christ supremely, Give Up All Your Earthly Possessions, if the Lord Should Ask This Give Yourself Totally to Him, Fulfill the Demands of Discipleship Etc. Etc. Etc.
Salvation Requirements According to Lordship Teachers: What Must a Person Do To Be Saved?
Lordship Salvation Requirements:
What do Lordship Salvation advocates actually require of the sinner? What do they say a person must do to be saved? John MacArthur is recognized as a leading proponent of Lordship Salvation. If you search through John MacArthur’s three books on Lordship Salvation [The Gospel According to Jesus (abbreviated GATJ), Faith Works (abbreviated FW) and Hard to Believe (abbreviated HTB)] you will find numerous statements that indicate different salvation requirements. Consider 1 the following:
Lordship Salvation Requirements
A person must have “a transforming commitment to the living Christ” (GATJ, p. ix, written by J. I. Packer).
“Follow Him in submissive obedience” (GATJ, p. 21).
Deny self, take up a cross, forsake all and follow Christ (GATJ, p. 30).
Repent, surrender and have an eagerness to obey (GATJ, p. 31).
Obey Christ (GATJ, p. 45).
Yield one’s life to the Lordship of Christ (GATJ, p. 67).
Be willing to forsake everything (GATJ, p. 78).
Commit yourself to obedience (GATJ, p. 79)
Make Christ the highest authority in your life (GATJ, pp. 86-87).
Be willing to obey (GATJ, p. 88).
Repent and follow Jesus (GATJ, p. 106).
Turn from sin (GATJ, p. 112).
Forsake oneself for Christ’s sake (GATJ, p. 135).
Be willing to sacrifice everything to acquire the kingdom (GATJ, p. 138–parables of hid treasure and pearl).
Give up all for the kingdom (GATJ, p. 138).
The page numbering may vary in different editions. In gathering this data, I used the following: The Gospel1 According to Jesus (Copyright 1988), Faith Works (Copyright 1993) and Hard to Believe (Copyright 2003). Page 1
Totally abandon self-will (GATJ, p. 140).
Exchange all that you are for all that Christ is (GATJ, p. 140).
Make a full exchange of self for the Savior (“absolute surrender”) – (GATJ, p. 141).
Turn from sin, abandon self and intend to obey God (GATJ, p. 161).
Repudiate the old life (GATJ, p. 162).
Turn from evil and intend to serve God (GATJ, p. 163).
Surrender to Christ and choose to obey Him (GATJ, p. 170).
Deny self and follow Christ (GATJ, p. 196).
Love Christ more than your own family members, be unquestionably loyal to Him even above your families (GATJ, pages 200-201).
Obey Christ’s divine authority (GATJ, p. 204).
MacArthur teaches that James 4:7-10 is “perhaps the most comprehensive invitation to salvation in the epistles” (GATJ, p. 218). Based on this statement we must add the following requirements:
Submit yourself to God Resist the devil. Draw nigh to God. Cleanse your hands. Purify your hearts. Be afflicted and mourn. Humble yourselves.
Turn to Christ in full self-surrender (FW, p. 49).
Turn from your sins (FW, p. 74).
Surrender heart, mind and will to Christ (FW, p. 194).
Deny self (HTB, pages 2, 6).
Take up your cross daily (HTB, p. 6)
Follow Christ (HTB, p. 6).
Refuse to associate any longer with the person you are (HTB, p. 7).
The requirement for eternal life is to be willing to give up all your earthly possessions if the Lord should ask this (HTB, p. 9).
Be willing to give up as much as it takes (HTB, p. 11).
“If you want to become a Christian, slay yourself! Refuse to associate any long with yourself, reject all the things your self longs and wants and hopes for. Be willing to die for the sake of Christ.” (HTB, pages 11-12)
Totally and absolutely deny self (HTB, pages 14-15).
Be willing to hate your father and mother (HTB, p. 15)
Be willing to dump all your earthly goods (possessions)–Luke 14:33 (HTB, p. 15).
“The complete surrender of all possessions is the essence of salvation” (HTB, p. 16).
Give yourself totally to Him which involves self-denial, cross bearing and following Him in obedience (HTB, p. 67).
Deny yourself and give Him your life (HTB, p. 69).
Die to yourself (HTB, p. 70).
You must obey the Sermon on the Mount (HTB, p. 81).
Leave all your possessions behind (HTB, p. 85).
“Salvation isn’t the result of an intellectual exercise. It comes from a life lived in obedience and service to Christ as revealed in the Scriptures” (HTB, p. 93).
I have learned that this last quotation (page 93 in Hard to Believe) was not written by MacArthur, but erroneously made its way into the text by way of an editor. I’ve been told that subsequent editions of the book have corrected this. However, I do not find this quote to be out of harmony with MacArthur’s Lordship position. If self denial, full surrender, loving Christ more than anyone else, forsaking all possessions are all requirements of salvation, then why can’t obedience be added as well?
Affirm your commitment to the lordship of Christ to the point where you are willing to forsake everything (HTB, pages 132-133).
“You can’t receive His salvation if your family means more to you than He does” (HTB, p. 134).
Give up your life and embrace His (HTB, p. 178).
On the back flyleaf of the book HTB, it says, “The hard truth about Christianity is that the cost is high, but the rewards are priceless: abundant and eternal life that comes only from faithfully following Christ (emphasis mine).”
- These Lordship salvation requirements all focus upon what the sinner must do. When it comes to salvation by grace, the true focus should be upon the finished work of Christ and what He has done. See our study entitled Do or Done? Salvation is based on God’s mercy, and it is not based on “works of righteousness which we have done” (Titus 3:5). “But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness” (Rom. 4:5). See also Ephesians 2:8-9. It is not our sacrifice that saves us, it is the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 3:18). MacArthur says, “We contribute nothing to our salvation” (HTB, p. 188), but if you read the list of requirements above, it seems that man does contribute a great deal.
- As you consider this list of Lordship requirements, it is obvious that MacArthur and others like him believe that the terms of discipleship are the same as requirements for salvation. To them “What must I do to be saved?” and “What must I do to be a disciple?” are identical questions. See our paper, A Contrast and Comparison Between Discipleship and Salvation. The only requirement for salvation is faith in the Person, Work and Word of God’s only Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ. The requirements for discipleship are many and are essential for the believer’s sanctification. Lordship Sanctification is Biblical; Lordship Salvation is not.
- One example of a discipleship requirement is loving Christ more than your own family members, and being unquestionably loyal to Him even above your own loved ones (GATJ, pages 200-201, HTB, p. 134). In other words, Christ should be the supreme object of my love. I should love Him more than family members, more than my own possessions, even more than my own life. This discipleship requirement is merely a re-statement of the greatest commandment: “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind” (Matt. 22:37). Thus, Lordship salvation men are essentially telling us that the greatest commandment is a requirement for salvation, and since the greatest commandment sums up the 10 Commandments (Matt. 22:40), then this means that salvation is obtained by keeping the Law. And yet we know that none of us have kept the law perfectly, and none of us have loved God supremely. The greatest commandment (along with the other laws which it summarizes) condemns every one of us to hell! If loving God supremely is a salvation requirement, then all of us are doomed! We have all failed to do this. How thankful I am that Christ Jesus came into the world to save guilty lawbreakers! See 1 Timothy 1:15.
- Lordship men actually soften the requirements of discipleship, something which our Lord never did. In many of MacArthur’s requirements we read phrases like this: be willing to forsake everything, have an eagerness to obey, be willing to sacrifice everything, be willing to hate your father and mother, etc. But the Lord said, “If you hate not father and mother….you cannot be my disciple.” He didn’t merely speak of a willingness to do it, but He spoke of actually doing it. “Whosoever he is of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:33). The Lord did not just speak of a willingness to forsake all possessions, but He spoke of actually doing it. So MacArthur is actually softening the requirements of discipleship. Believers do not measure up to the full demands of discipleship (even the Lord’s original twelve disciples lacked faith and full commitment on numerous occasions). The good news is that every believer completely measures up to the full demands of God’s righteousness in Christ (2 Cor. 5:21). God has fully provided the righteousness which we could never attain to on our own.
- On page 9 (HTB) MacArthur states that the requirement for eternal life is to be willing to give up all your earthly possessions if the Lord should ask this. This means that the requirement for eternal life varies for different individuals. For some individuals, the requirement for eternal life would include being willing to give up all earthly possessions if the Lord should ask this. But if the Lord has not required this of other individuals, then they are exempt from this salvation requirement. According to this teaching, the requirement for eternal life varies depending upon what the Lord has asked each person to do. If this teaching is correct, then we would conclude that there is not just one plan of salvation but there is a unique and special plan of salvation specially designed for each individual. This would make personal evangelism very challenging because we would never be sure just which plan of salvation is required for the person we are witnessing to.
- Fulfilling all the Lordship requirements is complicated indeed. According to MacArthur, salvation is not easy (GATJ, p. 182) and it is very Hard to Believe (the title of his book). How would a person under Lordship teaching ever gain assurance of salvation? Could he be sure that he has loved the Lord supremely? Has he given up all his possessions if the Lord has required him to do so, and how does he really know whether the Lord wants him to do this? Has he measured up to all the demands of discipleship? Is his level of commitment sufficient to satisfy the Lord? Has he surrendered enough? Is he sure that he has surrendered all or are there some things he is holding back? Are there areas of his life where he has not denied self? Has he “turned from sin” in every area of his life or is he still harboring some sin somewhere? If he were to examine his life based on all the requirements listed in this paper, how would he measure up? Would this self-examination lead him to full assurance of salvation? Remember, the more we look at SELF the more discouraged we will be. How wonderful it is to rest on the all-sufficient, finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ. May our only boast be in the crucified One (1 Cor. 1:29-31)! “Nothing in my hands I bring; simply to Thy cross I cling!”
“And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith” (Phil. 3:9)
By Pastor Tom Cucuzza For those of us who went to Bible college or seminary, one of the first rules of Bible interpretation we learned was that you interpret an unclear passage by a clear one, never the other way around. If we interpret the clear by the unclear, we can easily be led astray. […]
By Redeeming Moments The purpose of this article is to inform and warn others of Tozer’s many errors doctrinally. I do not judge Tozer’s salvation, I do not know if he believed the gospel at one point. But the Bible warns us to ‘take heed to the doctrine’ (1 Tim 4:16). Paul warned even elders […]
Twelve Reasons Why “Once Saved, Always Saved” Is TrueBy Dr. Thomas M. Cucuzza The Permanence of SalvationOne of the most debated issues in the history of the church has been whether or not a person, once saved, can lose his salvation. There are those who believe that a person must work to obtain salvation. Others […]
Beware of Hyper Grace: Joseph Prince by Jim Floyd at Stand For the Faith. The term Hyper Grace has been thrown around but what does this really mean? I would like you to consider today teachers that are currently promoting what could be called hyper grace. For those that hold this position they may balk […]
“But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.” John 10:12 “Leadership for the megachurch Hillsong was responsible for the “abuse of volunteers.” YouTube video here
…seal up the book until the end of time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase.” We are living in a world of information always at… The End of Time
I hope Light House Trails Research founder Warren B Smith also counseled Doreen not only about her false vision but her false gospel. When I inquired on FB messenger with Lighthouse Trails Research Project I got banned. My emails went unanswered. Warren B Smith if you read this you have left a lost person lost […]
I am working on a YouTube video and per usual will have loads of resources in the description box. I want to share some of them with you now so you can have a better idea of what’s happening in this mess of the saga of the heresy Jacob Prasch has been promoting. Please see […]
My own video includes email exchanges that expressed my deep concerns as well as email replies from other ministries I reached out too regarding this teaching (all whom absolutely rejected this teaching in any form) please watch these videos attached further down. Some ministries didn’t reply and as I looked further into their teachings they […]
Love Bombing: many of you have experienced it. But what exactly is it? And why is it so prevalent within cults and cultic atmospheres? Read blog here on Saved in a Cult It can be difficult to tell the difference between a person who is naturally kind and affectionate (or even over-the-top), and the person […]
With all the hysteria caused by this woman in a recent post about being left behind she never did share the gospel or how NOT to be left behind. She said many things like “run to Jesus, cling to Jesus, love Jesus, be on fire for Jesus etc etc” but none of that will save […]
I often ponder why we do not think about our only two choices once we leave this earthly vessel. 🔸 Is it we are too busy? 🔸 We just don’t care? 🔸 Is it too frightening? 🔸 We simply think I live a good enough life? I can only speak for myself as to why […]
Originally posted on Stand For the Faith:
A few months back I encountered a fellow on Facebook that claimed to be of a grace position but he advocated a view of the gospel that is content to leave out certain key facts including the atonement and resurrection of Christ. It was apparent to me that…
Ever hear something like that when you disagree with the masses? Or you don’t ‘align with the church (or group of people) vision’ even though that ‘vision’ isn’t biblical? Yea… I have … As a worker in the medical field there is a medical term called critical. What does critical mean in the medical field? […]
Brian Simmons: “I know the language of God. He told me. It’s picture.” According to Brian Simmons, author of The Passion Translation, “God’s language is not Hebrew, God’s language is not Greek, God doesn’t speak English. I know the language of God. He told me. It’s picture. God speaks in picture. This is why you […]
“It’s Hell!” said a healthcare worker overwhelmed by the coronavirus victims in a New York City hospital. And we wonder, can it, will it, get any worse or more chaotic? Not long ago, it was life as usual. Today, many live in fear and insecurity. Who would have thought this insidious virus would spread so […]
Chapter 1 PAUL’S exhortation to the younger preacher, Timothy, has come home to many with great power in recent years. As a result, there has been a return to more ancient methods of Bible study, which had been largely neglected during the centuries of the Church’s drift from apostolic testimony. Augustine’s words have had a […]
The only way to know what is counterfeit is to know what is true. You may have heard the analogy that bank tellers are taught what true bills look like so when they come across a counterfeit they can identify it more easily. Friends I am all for people educating themselves and reading information. But […]
The rate in which Christians are sharing the popular documentaries “Out of the Shadows” and “Plandemic” is alarming. Do not allow your worldview to become secular in all the chaos. Peoples once biblical worldview is now skewed by political agendas, emotionalism, and sensationalism all under the guise of ‘empowering knowledge’ yet people are losing their […]
Why Did He Have to Die? All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. –Isaiah 53:6 This verse opens with “all we like sheep have gone astray,” and it closes with “the Lord has laid […]
Search the scriptures daily to see if what you’ve been told is true. Spiritual Gifts are given by God through the Holy Spirit. A person cannot help another “activate” a gift that is only given by God. If it is a true gift from God that gift (s) will be exercised decently, in order, and […]
“He that answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13 Please watch the hour long video I made and the hour long video attached in the video description as well as the blog attachments. There is a lot of information and I did not take making this […]
Calvinism always finds its way into my lane every now and again so it seems appropriate to address it once again. Calvinism purports to be biblical Christianity but it is absolutely another gospel. “But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, […]
And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech […]
He preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection . . . And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent: because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given […]
Why Christians should be excited about the Coronavirus; and why they should also stop posting about it.
“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.” The result of Christians feeding their spirit with secular news instead of the Word of God. Serve God with Spiritual Gifts “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to […]
Originally posted on Pastor Bill Randles Blog:
Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets: She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying, How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning,…
What will be the outcome of the coronavirus? This isn’t meant to be prophetic or ‘thus saith the Lord’ … but how the corona virus will soften people’s hearts to ecumenicalism. I left work last night from a 12 hour nursing day and wanted to hit Walmart to get some things that I needed. I […]
The simplicity of the Gospel. People and false teachers have complicated what God made so easy a child could understand. When you finally understand Gods grace and that understanding goes from your head to your heart, His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Unknowingly I was carrying a burden of a type of […]
Christians wake up from your slumber. The coronavirus is real yet it’s also a distraction. It’s not about politics. It never has been. Satan is working overtime and the chaos amongst Christians is a result of spiritual cavities caused by a diet of a ‘sugary bible’ fake churches. We can expect (and shouldn’t be surprised) […]
“Today, a growing number of churches, ministries, and Christian colleges are promoting Calvinism. While Calvinist scholars claim that Calvinism is complex (and they have indeed created a complex system), the rudiments of it are very basic, and it can be readily understood. To call something heresy is clearly a strong accusation and should never be […]
Context is everything. One word taken out of context changes the ENTIRE meaning of something. Just think- when texting back and forth you use a word misplaced and the receiver now has an entirely different understanding of what you meant. This verse in scripture is used only in part and not in context: the partial […]
In the last year I have come across a growing number of people bearing the name Christian and at the same time accepting active freemasonry within the same breath. My hope with this blog is to provide the reader with intelligent, organized, and biblical information in order to measure the teachings of freemasonry against the […]
Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: and by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses. (Acts 13:38-39) Justification! It is a big word, and very often […]
Tare also known as darnel grass or bastard wheat, in particular a variety called Lolium temulentum. If the darnel are eaten it can cause convulsions and even death. Distinguishing Tare from Wheat is extremely difficult; so much so that farmers of the time would wait until both the tares and the wheat were mature in […]
“For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.” 2 Corinthians 11:4 As unsettling changes take place in your Christian environment, you might find yourself in […]
Ever since Sunday (12/15/19), there’s been this bizarre — no other word for it — story out of Bethel Church in Redding, Calif., about the followers of this immense church trying to raise a 2-year-old from the dead. Bethel has been an anomaly in the charismatic/pentecostal world but at the same time a place I’ve been […]
See Biblical Christianity here. “Pope Francis received the Grand Imam Ahmed Al-Tayeb of Al-Azhar of Egypt at the Vatican on Friday (15 November 2019, 17:21). The meeting was intended as the next step in actualizing the Document on the Human Brotherhood for World Peace and Common Living Together, a joint statement signed by the Pope […]
“The premise of the Hebrew Roots movement is the belief that the Church has veered far from the true teachings and Hebrew concepts of the Bible. The movement maintains that Christianity has been indoctrinated with the culture and beliefs of Greek and Roman philosophy and that ultimately biblical Christianity, taught in churches today, has been […]
Before I jump into a heavy topic like spiritual abuse I want to be sure to clarify that these blogs are written with the hope that things mentioned (much of which is personal experience not just a random railing against people) would cause people to draw closer to Christ and for people who are not […]
Things satan has said and continues to say: “Has God indeed said…” Genesis 3:1 “You will be like God…” Genesis 3:5 “I will make myself like the Most High.” Isaiah 14:14 The above are just a few scriptures of what satan has said from the beginning. After all, if you can be a god, and […]
Part one of…… We will talk about “heaven and God” but we are reluctant, afraid, or even unaware of the very real spiritual warfare and enemy we have. The very one Jesus Christ defeated. The very one who is after our souls of every human life. The father of lies who will do anything and […]
faith alone, grace alone, in Christ alone.
polytheism is polytheism…..
In Deuteronomy 18:10-11 we read: There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. We can read similar warnings […]
Religious indoctrination, the original sense of indoctrination, refers to a process of imparting doctrine in an authoritative way, as in catechism. I am certain my parents were doing what they thought was best, doing what their parents taught them, and what their parents, parents taught them and so on and so on, handing down a set of cultural and […]
I personally know many ‘pastors’ and ‘leaders’ who have embraced this book (movie) The Shack and actually continue to promote it to their congregations. I hope this authors newer work will open peoples eyes who have been seduced by The Shack and it’s universalist author Paul Young. Especially the leaders who should be protecting the […]
There is an elephant in the room.. it’s called the “Emergent/Emerging Church” (Postmodernism/Emergent-Liberalism)…. what is it? It is deception by reidentification is what it is. “Hath God said” …. Genesis 3:1 How to Know When the Emerging Church Shows Signs of Emerging Into Your Church. The emergent church – we have some ‘leaders’ in that. […]